In May 2022, Global Food Forums held its first in-person Clean Label Conference since the beginning of the Covid19 pandemic. This publication, the 2022 Clean Label Post Conference Magazine, is based on presentations from that event. Clean label products have short ingredient lists with consumer-friendly names. The concept of clean label products has grown to include trends such as plant-based diets and sustainable food industry practices. Additionally, due to the pandemic and world events like ingredient supply chain disruption, clean label product formulators have wrestled with additional issues in developing clean label products. Speakers at the 2022 Clean Label Conference addressed these topics and much more.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to download this magazine.
2022 Clean Label Post Conference Magazine Table of Contents:
- Unpacking the Ever-Evolving Narrative of Clean Eating in Order to Inform Innovation
Rachel Cheatham, Ph.D., Founder & CEO, Foodscape Group, LLC
From nutrition to functional ingredients to sustainability.
- Clean Label Opportunities & Challenges Arising from Innovative Products and Claims
Chip English, Partner-in-Charge, Washington D.C., Davis Wright Tremaine
Pitfalls and opportunities to maximize innovative products or claim.
- Powering the Evolution of Fermentation Processing
Paulo de Boer, Ph.D., Scientist/Project Manager, Wageningen Food & Biobased Research
Fermentation technology challenges in development and implementation.
- Understanding Hydrocolloid Properties to Tackle Supply Chain Instability
Nesha Zalesny, MBA, Technical Consultant, IMR International
Hydrocolloid availability and strategies for replacement.
- The State of Natural Colorants: Advice on Applications to Updates on Recent Research
M. Mónica Giusti, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor, Dept. Food Science and Technology, The Ohio State University
Natural colorant properties and applications.
- Practical Formulation with Plant-Based Technologies
Julia Thompson, Culinologist III, CuliNex
The building blocks of plant-based meat analogs.
- Facets of Sustainability: How Food Companies Can Measure and Communicate Progress to Consumers
Sean B. Cash, Ph.D., Bergstrom Foundation, Professor in Global Nutrition, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University
Hot topics in the sustainability arena.
- Sodium Reduction Using Clean Label Salty, Umami and Kokumi Taste Modulation
Alex Woo, Ph.D., CEO, and Founder, W2O Food Innovation
Changing and adjusting basic taste perception with clean label ingredients.
- Beyond Stevia: Are Protein Sweeteners the Next Big Thing?
John C. Fry, Ph.D., CChem, FRSC, FIFST, Director, Connect Consulting
Critical examination of protein-based, high-potency sweeteners.
- Labeling Fiber & Sugar: Maximizing Clean Label Advantages, Minimizing Class Action and Recall Risk
David Plank, Managing Principal, WRSS Food & Nutrition Insights/Senior Research Fellow, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota
New labeling requirements for dietary fibers and sugars.
- Considerations in Natural Flavoring Use in a Clean Label World
Keith Cadwallader, Ph.D., Dept. of Food Science & Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The food and flavor industries rethink using and labeling ingredients.
APPLICATION PANEL: TECHNICAL CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS
- Technical Challenges of Alternative Dairy Beverages + A Comment on Botanicals
Lindsay Wisener, MSc, Owner & Lead Product Developer, WiseBev
Overcoming complications in developing alternative dairy products.
- Considerations for Selecting and Evaluating Clean Label Antimicrobial Ingredients for Salad Dressings
Malcond Valladares, Ph.D., Food Scientist, Product and Process Development, The National Food Lab
Considerations for non-thermally treated acidified salad dressings.
- A Food Scientist’s Role in Advancing Clean Labels and Sustainable Food Systems
Jonathan Gordon, Ph.D., Founder and President, Glasgow Consulting Group LLC
Physical processes to avoid non-label-friendly ingredients.
- 2022 Clean Label Conference Magazine